The establishment of a voluntary organisation devoted to the welfare needs of its local community was pioneered in Australia by residents of Lane Cove. Since the inception of the organisation in 1961, many other communities have followed.
In 1959, whilst conducting house-to-house visits during her campaign for election to Lane Cove Council, Mrs Claudia Leach found a great void in the community for people in need of assistance at certain times in their lives. The outcome was the foundation of the ‘Pool of Service,’ which in 1961 became Lane Cove Community Aid Service (LCCAS). Meetings were held at the Council Chambers with volunteers working from home. In January 1962, LCCAS became independent of Council and at the same time received a grant from Council for administration expenses. LCCAS moved to its current location in 1965.
Services were introduced as needs were identified. Meals on Wheels began in the early 1960s, with the Lane Cove Club providing a limited service. The Home Companion Service, forerunner of the current Nursing Service, also started at this time. Welfare counselling was introduced in 1982, and in 1983 the Friends of Community Aid Shop (FOCAS) began fundraising with their monthly craft.
As demand increased, more services were introduced with the Home Maintenance and Modification Service being added in 1987; the Easy Care Gardening Service in 2002; the In-Home Podiatry Service in 2003 and the Linen Service in 2004.
More recently, the organisation was funded to extend its services to clients living in the local government areas of Lane Cove, Mosman, North Sydney and Willoughby. Along with this expansion, LCCAS underwent a name change to Lane Cove & North Side Community Services, with a mantra of ‘We care for you.’